- 8 cents/day
- 1.60 USD/month
Get up to 10 USD for each night you stay in hospital to help cover the costs
If you have an accident or get sick, Smart Hospital Insurance will help you get better.
Smart Hospital Insurance gives you up 10 USD each night* you stay at hospital. Is underwritten by BIMA, the world’s leading provider of mobile-delivered insurance and health services in emerging markets. And it’s available exclusively to Smart subscribers.
- 10 USD/day
- 320 USD/year
*For a maximum of 20 days per month.
*Subject to a minimum of 1 consecutive night per visit, and a maximum of 32 days of hospitalization per year (1 USD = 6.25 USD).
- Available exclusively to Smart subscribers
- Up to $10 each night you stay in hospital
- Coverage starts from only 8 cents/day
Terms & Conditions
*For a maximum of 20 days per month, and subject to a minimum of 1 night per visit and a maximum of 32 days of hospitalization per year.
- To subscribe and receive coverage, you must be between 18 and 69 years old and be a Smart subscriber.
- Policy payments will begin on the first day of the next month following registration and cover will begin the month after that. For example, policy payments for a customer registered on 15th January will begin on 1st February and cover will begin on 1st March.
- Claims are only valid for hospital stays of at least 1 night.
- The cover will be proportional based on how much of the premium the policyholder pays each month. If you are unable to make full payments for the policy each month, the financial settlement you receive in the event of hospitalization will be reduced accordingly. For more details on proportional coverage, please contact BIMA.
- Claims must be initiated within 6 months of hospitalization.
- The processing of a claim will commence after the following documents are submitted:
- Proof of enrollment (insurance confirmation SMS or cover SMS).
- Identification document (national ID card, family book, driver’s license or passport).
- Evidence of hospitalization (diagnosis card with clear details of admission and discharge dates; patient’s name, age and sex; admission complaints; investigations carried out; treatment given; doctor’s stamp and signature or payment receipt and the final bill).
- Claims will not be paid for hospitalization due to:
- Self-inflicted injury, attempted suicide or treatment obtained contrary to medical advice.
- Treatment obtained for injuries or surgeries due to direct participation in military exercises.
- Strikes, riots, civil commotion, political unrest or terrorism.
- Drugs or alcohol addiction.
- Pre-existing or recurrent conditions.
- Complication in pregnancy, childbirth or birth control.
- Elective treatment or cosmetic surgery.
- Dental treatment or surgery.
- Psychiatric or psychological conditions.
- Circumcision or vaginal membrane repairs.
- Venereal disease or any sexually transmitted disease or sickness.
- Non-medically required, elective, preventive, alternative or cosmetic treatments and surgery, including dental treatment.
- Non-disclosure of a pre-existing medical condition on registration.
- The policy can be canceled by calling the BIMA hotline on 010 242 248. Policy payments will be stopped within 48 hours.
- This service is available to all Smart prepaid subscribers, except Smart Traveller SIM subscribers.
Control and manage your balance, subscribe to services, top up and get more done anytime, anywhere.